What does "organic" mean?
The term “organic” refers to the way agricultural products are grown and processed. While the regulations vary from country to country, organic crops must be grown without the use of synthetic pesticides, bioengineered genes (GMOs), petroleum-based fertilizers, and sewage sludge-based fertilizers.
Advantages of organic food Vs non-organic food: -
- Reduced occurrence of adult obesity and type-2 diabetes
- Reduced incidence of cardiovascular diseases and other diseases
- Reduced environmental impact due to fewer greenhouse gas emissions
- Reduced exposure to pesticides through food, which improves cognitive development
- Reduced prevalence of adolescent allergies
- Reduced processing leads to higher levels of antioxidants like omega-3 fatty acids
- Reduced vulnerability to heavy metal cadmium, commonly found in artificial fertilizers
- Reduced risk of antibiotic resistance
Some quick facts about the benefits of Organic Food Production: -
Fact 1 - organic food production eliminates soil and water contamination. Since organic food production strictly avoids the use of all synthetic chemicals, it does not pose any risk of soil and underground water contamination like conventional farming which uses tons of artificial fertilizers and pesticides.
Fact 2 - organic food production helps preserve local wildlife. By avoiding toxic chemicals, using of mixed planting as a natural pest control measure, and maintaining field margins and hedges, organic farming provides a retreat to local wildlife rather than taking it away its natural habitat like conventional agriculture.
Fact 3 - organic food production helps conserve biodiversity. Avoidance of chemicals and use of alternative, all natural farming methods has been shown to help conserve biodiversity as it encourages a natural balance within the ecosystem and helps prevent domination of species over the others.
Fact 4 – organic food production helps the fight against global warming. Most organically produced food is distributed locally. Thus, less energy is used for transportation which automatically reduces carbon dioxide emissions which are believed to be the main cause of global warming.
Fact 5 - organic food production reduces erosion. Organic crop production methods do not foresee elimination of all vegetation except for crops. Thus, more soil is covered with vegetation preventing the wind to carry away the topmost fertile soil layers.